hub || us || ajh || kch || erh || ckh || fjh || pinterest

Thursday, July 21

projectos

i enjoy doing a project or 2 when i can. i'll be blunt. creativity is not where i suffer. that, my friends, is in the execution. the ideas flow but i don't have the resources or the ability to polish off a beautiful finished product. but i'm learning. & trying. & for now that's enough.

i saw a coffee filter wreath & thought that since i didn't have any coffee paraphernalia but did have an old torn up french book, i would do pages rather than filters.

of course i found tutorials for book wreaths shortly thereafter & it probably would have minimized all the finger burns but i did it in less than an hour & like how it turned out. i even did a mini one for my mama.

next i kept seeing all these fun burlap pillows all over the place & thought 'hey, i could force get my mom to make that with me.' we did a few different techniques & experimented with this super soft muslin, burlap material.

& made a new burlap cover with gigantic wooden buttons for our beloved trampoline-ottoman in the basement.

the chief & i bought this table at DI when we were very first married for i think $10. it's the only furniture we bought. everything else was either gifted or hand-me-downs from the family i nannied. we overhauled it & were super proud of ourselves. haha it was really quite simple. it's an old record player table that also had a radio dial in it so part of the top opens & the sides originally had speakers with a kind of orange shag carpet over them. cute cute cute. haha aust ripped the front off & hinged it at the bottom so that it's a drop front cabinet while i cleaned out the inside & replaced the shag with a less hideous blue.

it was our tv stand then a funny console table & an entryway catch all & has held all sorts of things. since we have so much closet space here it had kind of lost its purpose. i've always wanted a vanity & had an epiphany 3 days ago that this could maybe be it.
so i primed, sanded, & spray painted away. inside. cause it was raining & i wanted to & i'm an idiot. not recommended.

anyway since i had barely hemmed our master bedroom curtains i just happened to have the perfect size scraps to replace the lovely blue. it may be a little too matchy matchy for my taste but for now it was an easy zero cost solution.

i do think i'll do another white coat & poly but by brush this time. i think it will work great. now to find & adhere a mirror to the inside...

i found a shattered mirror behind cut out wooden vines a couple years ago in a clearance garden aisle at target. i got it for $8 & removed the mirror & sponged it with red & hung it vertically in our master bedroom. then later it turned into a headboard. (yeah, we don't have any actual adult beds at our house.) if you've noticed, i switch uses & furniture layout frequently.
just used this to show you the headboard thing in red.
ignore that it's my bday morning, with miss e's half-flat leftover bday balloon & cmas gift wrap.

when we moved we got a king size bed from my 'rents & a guest bedroom from our townhouse. so the red is now the guest & i have just started collecting grey & white for our master. i used red curtains for a makeshift headboard in the guest so my trusty vines turned grey.

& yes my bed is always made but never this well. a tightly made bed is austin's dream in life so since he's doing his part this month, i figure i can do mine.

this last project is my pride & joy. i'm crazy proud of it. i wanted a bicycle pillow as we are so excited about our new bike life. i was thinking something different but when i found a picture of a statue on a random google search & adored it, plans changed. so i resized it, printed it, & traced it onto transfer paper. then i took an exacto knife & spent for.ev.ER. cutting out every spoke & feather. my mom made the pillow because she has the cadillac of all sewing machines & equal skill & i have neither machines nor skill. (she will laugh at this because it most likely took her 11 minutes from start to finish.)

we ironed it on & held our breaths...

success! probably a much easier way to do it but it is super cool & one of a kind & i love it.

i always have some kind of project in the works & i love seeing what other people are into so i thought i'd share a bit. i'm hoping over time i'll get better but for now it's something i just like dabbling in.

7 comments:

Jamie Blake said...

Wow, you've been hard at work! :) I love how cozy, artistic, and welcoming your home is- you've got great taste.
I, too, love working on projects!!

anitamombanita said...

way to go! that's awesome. and truth be known, it probably took your mamacita all of 11 SECONDS to make the pillow, she's so talented. Guess we know where you got that creative streak, eh? :)

lisa said...

LOVE the ottoman/trampoline cover and that pillow especially, so glad/impressed that you made it! It caught my eye in the bedroom pics before you mentioned it and I was wondering where you'd found it. Everything looks great (and your place is HUGE, bytheway, hardly what I picture for east coast living!). Show us more projects! (and, uh-hem, promise to NEVER spray paint indoors again, k?)

VK said...

Such a clever girl you are.
Now I can blog about a couple of those projects.
House looks great, and yes Lisa it is huge compared to what they had here in sunny CA.

VK said...

Oh, sorry. I thought you should add that the "les collines" pillow is french for "the Hills." Clever.

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

wow. i'm so happy you did this post! I love seeing people's projects, too. one of my friends in moscow had that book-page wreath thing and I oo-ed and ah-ed everytime I went over, i love it! maybe you could teach me how to make one when you are here if there is time??? and my mom would like you to know that sometimes she gets on your blog through the link on mine (hahahahahaha), and that she wants you to make her one of those bicycle pillows, because she is absolutely in love with it. Her and my dad have a tandem bike and they are always riding it together so it just went straight to her heart I think. I am beyond impressed that you make your bed every day... I mean I guess it wouldn't be THAT hard but mine is definitely unmade more than it's made. And I laughed about the tightly-made bed being austin's dream- it must be a hill thing because it's Derek's biggest pet peeve that I like the covers loose so I can twist my limbs up in them and make a big mess out of them while I sleep. I love the french pillow, and the vanity is to die for. i really, really, REALLY want to learn how to redo furniture. anyways this is getting long so basically I am just in awe of the amazing creativity skills of the ever-talented Kathryn Hill! and to do it all thriftily too... way cool.

steph said...

you have wanted that bicycle pillow for a while now!!! im glad you finally got it done!! the tv stand looks great~ i like the new fabric instead of the blue for sure... and thats saying something if i prefer anything over a blue something :)