hub || us || ajh || kch || erh || ckh || fjh || pinterest

Tuesday, January 11

2011

happy new year's!


i like new year's resolutions. really any time resolutions.

my little sister is a born hostess. she had all these cute new year's eve games which were a blast. one was submitting 3 resolutions & all of us guessing whose was whose. there was some fun variety: new job, defend thesis, read more, no baby - you know the drill :)

but young mamas, i have a quick bone to pick with you. why do i keep hearing so much about nye resolutions being more important for us?! i don't care if you're a big shot CFO, an empty nester, a 9-5er, a coach, a grad student, a stay at home mom, whatever. we all need to be better & more well-rounded. so while i think it's great to have resolutions, we don't need them any more than anyone else. it's been confusing me lately. i love my job. i am not defined by this job. i have interests, passions, & strengths that have nothing to do with taking care of my family. we should all challenge ourselves & work on weaknesses outside of the demands of our job. all. of. us. sure, the demands of my job are not the same as yours. ie. you need to find a different way to work on your patience (mine's a built in daily exercise) & i need to polish my vocab past farm noises.
okay, i'm done now. :)

to a happy, healthy, productive 2011!

5 comments:

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

so after I read this I went back to my little goal blog and I realized I sounded like I don't like what i'm doing! and that us moms need more goals and directions in our lives. Didn't mean to make it sound like that. You said it a lot better than I did. :) So here's a big AMEN to this whole post. I agree with you 100% Blogs are so stupid sometimes. Whenever I go back and read past posts of mine I always cringe. I never come across how I mean to. But yeah thanks for posting this you are a great example! :)

P.S. I love all the updates and pictures!

the hills said...

kelli! no! i'm mortified! i knew it was coming across preachy & haughty. dang it. haha. i wasn't thinking of anyone's post! i have just sat through like literally 5 different convos on this since the new year with the SAHM crowd (library, church, park, etc) & i was hearing this over & over! it was a lot of self depricating garbage & i was getting frustrated. your resolutions post was entertaining as always & i think your goals are amazing. (i only pledged 6 temple trips so GO YOU with your 8! haha!)

VK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VK said...

That deleted post was me, and i am laughing a little.
I have a resolution too.

Camille said...

I'm with ya on the no baby in 2011! So funny how similar our lives are on the baby track...early Jan 09 baby and then late (or later for me) 2010 babies. Makes for two very fun Christmas' in a row!! Looks like you are having a blast out there. I want to know what kind of double stroller that is! It looks so compact...mine is like a suburban!