hub || us || ajh || kch || erh || ckh || fjh || pinterest

Friday, February 11

back east

what is with the expression "back east"? i've never lived on the east coast. austin has never lived on the east coast.

you don't say "back west". hmm... you do say "out west" though. then again that sounds a little cowboy frontier-ish, exploring the unknown prairie. but he's from the western states. i'm from the west coast. shouldn't we be going "out east" & therefore visit "back west"?


i don't know. is it because of the colonies? so we're going "back east" to where the united states started? where we all essentially came from? sure, i'll buy that. you might not, but i will. :)


oh. point being: we're taking a rotation with lockheed & moving "back east" to springfield, va just out of dc!!! we've been talking about trying out this part of the country since we were engaged.


there are so many things on my bucket list to do! we are ECSTATIC!

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Congrats! That is so exciting. I asked Sam why they say back east and he just kind of looked at me funny...so there you go. Love the DC temple! That is where Sam first went through. Enjoy it! But you guys aren't gone for good right???

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

I'm so excited for you guys! You have to blog about all your adventures so I can experience it vicariously through you!

VK said...

My friend Lisa (who is from Connecticut) says you should only say "back East" when you came from there. It is actually one of her pet peeves that us "Westerners" say it at all.
BTW, I'm coming "back East" to visit you. Lots!

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

Ah I love it there. Trav served his mission there and we have been back to visit and I fell I love with the place.

steph said...

very exciting! cant wait to visit you guys out there :)

Tansy said...

Super exciting, even though we will miss you! You guys will do great (even if it is stressful not having all the details worked out)!

hodgfamily said...

boo!!! we will miss you all but you will LOVE it I am sure! I bet just being that close to your lovers memorial is enough to get you through the weather and horrible traffic :) ha ha ha

Aimee said...

VK and Kathryn, the first time I heard "back east" was when I moved "out west" from Mass. :) I would even think to myself, what is with all these people calling the east coast "back east." I still smirk every time people say it.