hub || us || ajh || kch || erh || ckh || fjh || pinterest

Monday, May 17

grandpa var


my first contact with the mr.'s family was grandma & grandpa var. well that's what i always called them but i guess it's grandma & grandpa rosenbaum to everyone else. we'd drive up to payson for the band stand or to help with yard work or for onion day parades & carnivals.

most times austin would be outside doing chores/errands and i would stay inside & visit with his grandparents. austin would get jealous because they would tell me some amazing, personal stories that he had never heard himself. they talked about 'the accident' & how var had not walked unassisted for 45 years. they were both genuinely positive & considered themselves so lucky. i got to know them quite well & was always welcome there.
they came all the way up to idaho falls for our reception there.

i really have a soft spot for grandpa var. austin used to tease me that i had a crush on him. everytime we'd leave them i'd rave 'he is SO cool!!' haha. he has such a sense of humor & always makes me laugh. my favorite is when he's super blunt about things, cracks me up. :) i know he technically isn't but i feel like he is my grandfather too.
here he is meeting ellery for the first time. she loved both he and afton.
last week, we were all thrilled/surprised & now so grateful that they could come up for logan's homecoming. uncle rand gave ellery a ride in grandpa's new chair. :)
it's hard for me to look at this picture now, taken exactly a week before he so unexpectedly left us. var will be missed.

austin & i have never lost anyone before, really. it's unfamiliar, melancholy territory. i have some amazing examples in my life & var rosenbaum was one of them. such an impressive, funny, strong man. i feel almost unseemly for mourning his passing. this is just my short experience with a man that was important to many.

but he had an affect on me. & i feel for those closest to him. his darling wife & my sweet mother-in-law & my austin. & i feel for the gap he will leave.

we are so glad to know where he is. & that he is sad to leave us but happy for what lies ahead.

5 comments:

Jamie Blake said...

so bummed to hear about austin's grandpa! derek called last night and told us. thank goodness for the knowledge that we know that you'll see him again someday! love ya!

The Hodgmans David, Kara, Lexy, Lena and Luke said...

sounds like a great guy! wish I could have met him!

Jana said...

Awh Kathryn I am so sad for you guys! I know you really did love him, pretty sure you might have married Austin partially because of him :) I'm glad I got to meet him, he was definitely so sweet. Love you!

John Hodgman said...

A beautiful tribute to a man's life and so tenderly described.

Sarah Ewell said...

Kathryn, I feel the exact same way. I always have felt he and Grandma were my adopted grandparents. I feel like I just lost another grandpa. He was a wonderful man.